The 11 plus exam is a highly competitive test that requires excellent time management skills to perform well. Proper time management is essential to ensure that you can answer all the questions within the given time frame and maximise your score. In this article, we will discuss various strategies for managing your time effectively in the 11 plus exam.
We will cover topics such as:
- Planning your time
- Allocating time for different sections of the exam
- Techniques to improve your speed
- Maximising your time
- Time-saving strategies for the verbal and non-verbal reasoning sections
Planning Your Time in the 11 Plus Exam
Planning your time in advance is crucial to achieving success in the 11 plus exam. Here are some tips to help you create a study schedule and stick to it:
- Start early and plan your study time well in advance of the exam.
- Set realistic goals and plan your exam schedule based on your strengths and weaknesses.
- Break down the syllabus into smaller sections and allocate specific study times for each.
- Take breaks regularly and avoid burnout by incorporating leisure activities into your schedule.
- Consider using a study planner or app to help you stay organised and on track.
- Online tuition and learning can also support your time management by providing flexible study options and personalised learning experiences. Working with an online tutor can help you create a study plan that works for your schedule and ensure that you stay on track with your studies.
Allocating Time for Different Sections of the Entrance Exams
When preparing for the 11 plus exam, it’s important to be familiar with the exam structure to effectively allocate your time. The 11 plus exam is typically divided into four sections: Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, Mathematics, and English. Each section has a specific time limit, which varies depending on the exam board and the school you’re applying to. For instance, the GL Assessment has a total exam time of 2 hours and 10 minutes, while the CEM 11 plus exam is usually longer at around 3 hours.
To allocate your time wisely, it’s important to create a study schedule and stick to it. You should allocate more time for sections that you find challenging and less time for sections that you are confident in. This can help you optimise your time and increase your overall score. For example, if you find the English section challenging, you may want to allocate more time to it during your study sessions.
It’s also crucial to be flexible with your time allocation. If you find that you’re consistently running out of time in a particular section, you may want to adjust your study schedule accordingly. Moreover, during the actual exam, if you find that you’re spending too much time on a particular question, it’s better to move on to the next one rather than getting stuck and wasting valuable time.
In addition, online learning has become a popular option for 11 plus exam preparation, and many students have been using online tuition services, such as VAKS Tuition, to help them prepare for the exam. An online tutor can provide individualised support and help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, allowing you to allocate your time more effectively during your study sessions. Therefore, if you’re struggling with time management, it may be worth considering an online 11 Plus tutor or learning tutor to help you improve your exam technique and maximise your performance.
Techniques to Improve Your Speed in the 11 Plus Exam
In addition to effective time allocation, improving your speed in the 11 plus exam is essential for achieving a high score. There are several techniques that can help you work through questions more quickly and accurately.
- Skimming and Scanning: Quickly read through the passages or questions to get an idea of what they are about, and then go back and read them more carefully if needed.
- Elimination: Cross out answer choices that you know are incorrect to narrow down your options and increase your chances of getting the correct answer.
- Practice, practice, practice: The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with the exam format and the better you will be able to manage your time.
- Use your strengths to your advantage: Focus on the sections where you excel, and try to complete those quickly to give yourself more time for the more challenging sections.
It’s important to note that these techniques require practice to be effective. You can start by practicing past papers and timing yourself to get a sense of how long it takes you to complete each section. This will help you identify areas where you need to improve your speed and accuracy.
By practicing these techniques and using them effectively, you can significantly improve your chances of performing well in the 11 plus exam.
Maximising Your Time
- Stay focused and avoid distractions to make the most of your time during the exam.
- Prioritise questions based on difficulty and time constraints to ensure that you complete the exam within the allocated time.
- Don’t get bogged down by difficult questions, move on and come back to them later if you have time.
- Practice time-management strategies during your 11 plus exam preparation with an online tutor or home tuition to improve your efficiency and speed.
- Online 11 Plus tutor can help you learn strategies to maximise your time during the exam, and VAKS Tuition is one such online learning tutor that can offer 11 Plus tuition.
- During practice sessions, simulate the exam conditions, including timing yourself to ensure that you are comfortable with the time constraints on the day of the exam.
- Use your strengths to your advantage and prioritise questions that you can answer quickly, leaving the more challenging questions for later.
How to Avoid Running Out of Time in the Entrance Exams
Effective time management during the 11 plus exam is crucial to your success. One of the biggest challenges is avoiding running out of time, which can cause you to miss questions and lose valuable points. Here are some tips to help you avoid running out of time:
- Keep an eye on the clock: Make sure to constantly monitor the time during the exam to ensure that you are on track to complete all sections on time.
- Pace yourself: It’s important to pace yourself throughout the exam to avoid getting bogged down by difficult questions. Allocate enough time for each section and stick to your schedule.
- Manage your time effectively: If you find that you are running out of time on a particular section, prioritise the questions you can answer quickly and move on to the more difficult ones later.
- Practice time management techniques: During your 11 plus exam preparation, practice time management techniques such as creating a study schedule and taking practice exams under timed conditions. This will help you develop a sense of timing and make it easier to manage your time during the actual exam.
Remember, effective time management can help you stay calm and focused during the exam, which can ultimately lead to better performance and higher scores.
Time-Saving Strategies for the Verbal Reasoning Sections
The verbal reasoning section of the 11 Plus exam can be challenging due to the time constraints. However, by following the tips below, you can approach this section with confidence and maximise your chances of success:
- Understand the different question types: Before starting the verbal reasoning section, make sure you understand the different types of questions that you will encounter. This will help you to quickly identify the question type and apply the appropriate strategy.
- Read the instructions carefully: Instructions are essential to understand the question and its requirements. Make sure you read them carefully, as they will help you to understand what you are being asked to do.
- Focus on the relevant information: Verbal reasoning passages can contain a lot of information, some of which may be irrelevant to the question at hand. Focus only on the relevant information and ignore any extraneous details.
- Eliminate answer choices: When answering multiple-choice questions, eliminate the answer choices that you know are incorrect. This will increase your chances of selecting the correct answer and save you time.
- Practice: Practice is essential to improving your speed and accuracy in the verbal reasoning section. Take advantage of online 11 Plus tutoring, which can provide you with the necessary skills and techniques to succeed.
By following these time-saving strategies, you can improve your performance on the verbal reasoning section of the 11 Plus exam.
In conclusion, time management is a crucial aspect of the 11 Plus exam. Proper allocation of time, effective speed-improvement techniques, and maximizing your time during the exam can help you achieve your best score. It is essential to practice these techniques regularly during your preparation to become more comfortable with them.
Ultimately, online tuition, including VAKS Tuition, can be a valuable tool for helping students manage their time and prepare for the 11 Plus exam effectively. With the right strategies, focus, and determination, you can succeed in the 11 Plus exam and achieve your academic goals.
TAGS: 11 plus online tuition, Tutor, Online tutor, Home tuition, Online learning, online tuition, Online 11 Plus tutor, learning tutor, 11 Plus Tutor, Entrance Exams, VAKS Tuition, 11 plus exam preparation, 11 Plus Tuition, 11+ School Exam Preparation, time management, speed-improvement techniques, prioritization, time-saving strategies, verbal reasoning section, running out of time.